Contact Information 

District Offices
Tiadaghton Valley Mall
Room 105
701 Allegheny Street, Box 4
Jersey Shore, PA 17740
(570) 398-4476

Closed for lunch: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Thursdays 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Penn Hills Plaza, Halls Station
21 Kristi Road
Suite 1
Muncy, PA 17756
(570) 546-2084

Closed for lunch: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Capitol Office
Hon. Garth Everett
401 Irvis Office Building
PO Box 202084
Harrisburg PA 17120-2084
(717) 787-5270
Fax: (717) 772-9958

E-Mail:  
geverett@pahousegop.com

Marcellus Shale Impact Fee Legislation Clears House, Says Everett
11/17/2011
HARRISBURG – Rep. Garth Everett (R-Lycoming) said today he voted to approve House Bill 1950, which contains the House version of a Marcellus Shale impact fee. The vote on final passage was 107 to 76.

“As this Marcellus Shale impact fee legislation was being developed, we heard input from all of the stakeholders who would be affected by House Bill 1950, and in that, we came to understand the ‘needs’ versus the ‘wants’ in their opinions,” said Everett. “I believe this legislation addresses the needs of the people involved. This bill is a starting point, and I think it serves the best interests of Pennsylvanians.”

Everett said House Bill 1950 would enable counties that host Marcellus Shale drilling sites to impose an impact fee on drillers for up to 10 years via the passage of a local ordinance.

The legislation splits the revenue from the fee, with 75 percent remaining in the county to help mitigate the impact of Marcellus Shale drilling, which includes infrastructure repair, aiding in lowering tax burdens and helping other local government priorities, such as social service assistance. The other 25 percent will go to Commonwealth-wide safety, health and infrastructure concerns.

In addition, the bill includes upgrades to the current regulations on oil and gas drilling.

Everett said there were a number of changes made in the bill from its original version.

“House Bill 1950 contains significant changes in setbacks and other environmental safeguards,” said Everett. “The local government restrictions have been substantially modified and this bill contains funding for environmental programs like Growing Greener and the Environmental Stewardship Fund, in addition to requiring a comprehensive study of the cumulative effects on air quality. I am pleased that this bill keeps the majority of the impact fee in local areas such as ours, rather than having it turn into a state general fund money grab.”

Everett said the bill funds environmental programs through the Oil and Gas Lease Fund. He added Pennsylvania had never really anticipated the amount of revenue that would come from state land leases for natural gas drilling when the fund was first created.

House Bill 1950 retains local input on Marcellus Shale drilling operations in local communities. Ordinances relating to oil and gas development that do not conflict with state or federal laws can be enacted, allowing for a reasoned approach to development. In the case of disputes, the attorney general’s office would serve as an arbitrator, rather than going through costly and lengthy court actions.

Everett stressed this is not the last word on the issue.

“This is not the last Marcellus bill we will consider, but it has been given considerable debate,” said Everett. “I believe when one looks at the final product objectively, the positives outweigh the shortcomings. It is not a perfect bill, as is the case with most major impacting legislation, but it is the best balance we could achieve at this time.”

The bill goes to the Senate.

State Representative Garth Everett
84th District, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
RepEverett.com
Contact: Raymond Smith 
rsmith@pahousegop.com
717.705.1834
Share |